It's only Thursday?

It's been a really long couple of weeks. Though I'm doing some work on my own art, the majority of my energy has been given over to my paying day job at the newspaper. Working 10 to 11 hour days for a couple of weeks now as our paper moves – finally! – into the digital age by implementing a pagination system. Most newspapers moved from paste-up to computer output years ago.

The UT, however, having been a privately held family-run business for more than 100 years, has always been a bit slow when it comes to change.

But that all changed when new owners bought us earlier this year. With more than 300 employees laid off by summer, the paper also bought a pagination system creating the kind of change that only comes from a radically different point of view. Along with that kind of innovating thinking also comes a bit of impatience.

While most newspapers that went through this conversion spent 6 months to a year of testing and implementation, we are tasked with converting with only two weeks of training and a schedule that will roll over every section of the newspaper in to this new system within two months.

Yes, I can see the merits of this new system but what is that saying, "It's hard to see the forest through the trees?" I am in the middle of my third week in the environment and there are still plenty of bugs and a lot of fear of its instability and unfortunately, at this point in time, I fear the system more than I have mastered it.

And so this is my long-winded way of explaining away the lack of posts here. I do have some new jewelry pieces to share and a short tutorial on photographing jewelry for sites like Etsy and Artfire. So stay tuned and thank you for hanging in there with me!

Comments

Popular Posts