CHECK IT OUT | Travel advice from a seasoned journalist

Big Boulder in black & white

Point Loma Tidepools, San Diego, CA


I don't get a chance to travel as much as I'd like. I haven't been to Europe. I haven't been to South America. In fact, I haven't been to many of the states here either. I'd like to. Some day.

In the meantime, I read about other people's adventures and make mental notes as to what my first big trip will be like when I finally have the time, money and companion to do it with.

As I was browsing my friend Greg's blog, I'm Black & I Travel, I came across an entry about cameras that I thought would be good to reinforce here.

So many times I'm asked, usually by amateurs and serious enthusiasts, what camera I use. Well, I've used a lot of different cameras from cheap toy camera's to medium format cameras to high-end digital cameras. And you know what? It isn't the camera. It's the photographer. It's the vision. It's the sense of adventure. It's  knowing how to make what you are holding in your hands interpret what you see with your eyes and in your head.

So back to Greg's post. It was in answer to the age old question: What's the best travel camera? His response is something I've been saying for years: The best travel camera is the one you have with you.

An expensive, gorgeous camera does you no good if it's too bulky or complicated to lug around with you. I have a nice digital SLR and a couple bulky lenses I do my freelance work with. And on occasion, I'll take it and a single lens out with me to do some personal shooting with. But you know which camera I have with me ALL the time? A Canon Elph that is small enough to fit in my pocket or purse.

And because of that, I'm not likely to miss a good photo op.

Check out Greg's blog. It's a good read filled with great tips no matter who you are or what your budget is.

Comments

Popular Posts