Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Random Thoughts :: "You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave..."

Seagulls and rocks
Morro Bay, California, April 2010

"You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island opportunities and look toward another. There is no other land, there is no other life but this."
~ Henry David Thoreau

I think my lack of sleep the last few weeks is really affecting me and I'm finding myself thinking and dwelling on stuff that probably should only have been passing thoughts. Like these:

I am wondering how it is that some weeks Friday seems to come so fast? How does it happen that I wake up one morning filled with plans and the next morning I realize that an entire month has slipped through my fingers? 

When I came across the Thoreau quote at the start of this post, it really resonated and it occurred to me that maybe I've figured it out: I am sometimes quite guilty of wasting too much time dwelling on the past or worrying about the future instead of being in the here and now. So while I'm doing everything but being present, my present is passing me by. 

How do you stop? How does one "slow down" and focus? Or in my case, refocus? I'm curious, what tricks or skills do you employ to make sure that while you are still goal setting, the goal setting isn't all you're doing? 

We can't walk around without a plan so surely some worry of the future must take place. And I think we must stay cognoscente of the mistakes we've made so we can figure out the lesson and move on. But where do you draw the line? Seriously, if you have tricks or tools to accomplish some balance in your life, do share! :)

For now, all I can think to do is to continue creating something every day that gives me joy while working on facing down the pain of my past mistakes at least enough to allow me to let go. How else can I keep looking forward with a heart filled with hope and not regret?

Here's to balance!

Until next time, 
Ani

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails