{ photo } The Sentries tapping, rapping at my chamber door

"Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door." ~Edgar Allan Poe, The Raven
 

The common raven's population in California is on the rise.

Thought to be highly intelligent, these beautiful black birds mate for life and are the subject of myth and folklore around the globe. The bird's symbolism runs the gamut from omens of ill fate to being the ghosts of murdered people, from being known as Tricksters to being revered as gods.

I've been drawn to these birds since I was in 7th grade after the first time I read Poe's The Raven. And try as I might, whenever I went looking for them with camera in hand, I never found any to photograph.
Earlier this year, while on a trip up the coast we stopped to visit the Elephant Seal Rockery in San Simeon. Rravens, seagulls and squirrels all crowded around the parking lot waiting for dropped crumbs and opportunities to scavenge. Almost every post the length of the fence had a raven standing watch over the cars and people as they came and went. Like sentries, they stood their ground watching.

Waiting.

And I finally got my chance to add them to my collection of images.

Comments

Popular Posts