Cooking for One: Cheesy Egg & Spinach Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms {recipe}

Mushroom_3022x
Well, hello there.

It’s been a few weeks, I know.

First it was due to vacation. Then, well, I should say, now I’ve been sick. All week. Like, can’t get out of bed during the day because I was up most of the night hacking up a lung.
Img_0618
A quick iPhone shot of Lake Crescent, Olympic National Park


I got ill the last night of my Pacific Northwest adventure (more on that adventure another time, or two). I know exactly when it hit me. I was driving on the 104 in the Olympic Peninsula on the way to the ferry for our return trip to Seattle when it hit. I thought my throat was scratchy from the pretzels and chips I was munching on during the 2 and a half hour trip from Forks, WA to Kingston, WA where we’d pick up the ferry across the Puget Sound.
Img_0550
This is me, resting, er, taking an iPhone self-portrait of me pretending to be resting while on the ferry. I wish I could sleep that peacefully now.


There I was. On the ferry. Coughing. I decided to lay back and try to relax for the 30 minute trip, concentrating on not coughing. "Man, I ate too much of the Munchies Mix," I remember telling my auntie once we checked into our hotel in Sea-Tac.

Yesterday, I slept ‘til 1:30pm, getting up only because I had to take my fur child to her grooming appointment. I used the opportunity to make a quick stop at the grocery store. My appetite has been lacking this week, but I knew I needed something high in protein and meat didn’t sound good. Which is surprising coming from this confirmed meat-eater.

I love mushrooms. In fact one of my favorite appetizers to take to parties is sausage stuffed crimini mushrooms. It’s a hit. Every time.

Sausage didn’t sound good. But mushrooms did and the giant portobello’s on sale at the market looked great.
Mushroom_3027x
As a single foodie living alone, I often find that many of the recipes I want to write about means I’m eating it for dinner, lunch, dinner and sometimes even lunch again. It gets kinda boring. The lovely thing about this recipe is that it’s perfect as a generous portion for one or paired with toast and some hash browns, a good recipe for two.

This makes me happy. It’s super simple and fast which is great because I didn’t have much energy.
Mushroom_3003x
Don't they look yummy? I didn't have the energy to fire up the grill and go outside. I know some folks don't like grill pans. They complain you can't get a good char.
Mushroom_3006x
Yeah, right. I love mine. And look at those lovely grill marks.
Mushroom_3010x
Heat a little olive oil in your trusty cast iron skillet. You're gonna sauté the onions, a little garlic and some spinach and you'll smile, like I did, from the fragrance filling your senses. Mmm-mmmm. And a note on spinach. Being that I'm single, I often rely on good quality frozen veggies because I don't always get through an entire bunch of anything before it goes bad. I am a huge fan of Trader Joe's Chopped Frozen Spinach. Trust me, I've tried lots. But the TJ's variety is frozen loose leaf and not in chunky blocks and is quite yummy.
Mushroom_3012x
Goodness gracious do I love eggs! And I love 'em soft scrambled (brown tinged eggs away with you!). Seriously, a little sour cream and some green chilis in there and the creamy goodness is simply heaven.
Mushroom_3015x
Come together! Right now! Eggs, spinach and my favorite cheese mixture. Oh, yeah baby! And not wanting to sound like I'm particularly promoting Trader Joe's but I love Trader Giotto's Quattro Formaggio (a shredded mix of parmesan, asiago, fontina and mild provolone cheeses and it's also great in quesadillas and pizzas).
Mushroom_3035x
Split the mixture between the two mushrooms, top with some shredded parmesan, broil in a toaster oven until lightly browned and bubbly and break out the utensils …
Mushroom_3023x
Cuz, seriously, I think this has become my new favorite breakfast. Of course, since I slept all day, it was actually dinner time. No matter. It was delish and even with the snapping of the few pictures along the way, beginning to end this took all of about 30 minutes.

Cheesy Egg & Spinach Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
serves 1 or 2
Ingredients
  • 2 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
  • olive oil
  • 1/3 cup frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed of excess water
  • 1/4 cup sliced onion
  • 1 clove garlic, pressed
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon light sour cream
  • 1 - 2 tablespoons diced (Ortega) green chilies 
  • 1/4 cup of your favorite hard cheese, grated
  • 1 tablespoon shredded parmesan cheese, divided
  • kosher salt & ground black pepper to taste
Method
  1. Heat a grill pan to medium hot. Brush olive oil on each side of the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper on both sides. Place on hot grill pan and cook for 6-8 minutes on each side or until slightly charred. Remove from grill and set aside.
  2. Heat a sauté pan to medium hot. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic and stir to keep from burning. Add spinach and stir to heat through. Remove and place in a bowl.
  3. Wipe out pan and return to heat. Add 1-2 teaspoons olive oil. In a small bowl, gently beat eggs, sour cream and chilies until combined. Add to pan and soft scramble. Cook until eggs have just set. Remove and add to bowl with spinach. Add cheese. Stir to combine. 
  4. Fill each mushroom cap with the egg mixture. Top each with the parmesan cheese and place on an oven safe pan. Place under the broiler or in a toaster oven for  5-8 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and parmesan has lightly browned. Enjoy immediately.

Comments

  1. As a single girl cooking for one, I ask myself constantly how not to cook for a small army. Frequently, I just don't want meat because of the hassle and expense. But this. . . this seems like the perfect addition to my life. Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Amy! Am so glad you like the recipe. Let me know what you think after you try it. I've made it again since this posted, I liked it that much. Have a great week and thank you for leaving a comment. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious, and not to mention super easy to prepare! Perfect for breakfast (or dinner!)
    - Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you @mushroomscanada for the retweet love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks just delicious, a must try recipe for me. When my singleton self is super hungry I might even leave out the mushrooms in order to fast-feast on the eggy goodness - which I wont have to share with my darling, daft rescue cat, Mind you, little of my cooking escapes the unplanned addition of a Zebby-Cat hair or two! Michelle downunder in Wellington, New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, your note made me laugh. I rescued a cocker spaniel last August so I know what you mean about the occasional unplanned hair. LOL... And yes, the eggs alone are yummy! I've made them and wrapped them up in a big flour tortilla. delish!

    Welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts